Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons, providing its intoxicating aroma with all the sumptuousness of freshly-picked fruit. Often described as “sweet,” “cheerful” and “nostalgic,” lemon oil has the power to arrest odors and infuse your whole house with its fresh, lemon-drop scent when diffused. What’s more, lemon essential oil is a primary ingredient in many skin and hair care products, Thieves cleaning products and essential oil blends including Thieves, Citrus Fresh, Clarity, Joy and Harmony.
We’re going to show you how you can turbocharge your house cleaning with the uplifting scent of fresh lemons, as it’s not only versatile, it smells incredible and will help you move towards more natural cleaning procedures.
Perfect Ways to Clean with Lemon Essential Oil
- Get rid of pesky carpet odors with a special carpet powder made with a mere handful of household ingredients and lemon – not only will your floors achieve freshened status, your whole house will smell fantastic. Click here for more information about the mixing process involved.
- Remove rust from knives by soaking them in a water and lemon oil mixture.
- Get out the gunk that’s exploded all over the walls of your microwave by filling a small bowl with water, dropping in a pinch of vinegar and finishing off with a couple of drops of lemon oil; microwave this mixture for around two minutes, and be surprised when the grime comes right off.
- Use lemon to freshen up dingy, mildew-riddled towels – just add in your lemon essential oil with a bit of Borax, washing soda and vinegar.
- Want your sink to sparkle and shine like a new nickel? Add a few drops of lemon oil to a towel and rub it on a clean surface.
- Clean your shower head by filling a Ziploc bag with vinegar and three to five drops of lemon oil, then attach it with a rubber band for an hour.
- Create a counter-cleaning spray by adding two tablespoons of vinegar plus 10 drops of lemon oil in a spray bottle and fill the rest of it with water.
- Eradicate labels’ sticky residue by rubbing with a few drops of lemon oil on a cloth that’s dry.
- Take an ice tray mold, fill it with vinegar and add two drops of lemon oil to each cube; freeze and introduce to the garbage disposal with every occurrence of horrid odors.
- Have some really foul-smelling shoes? Get them smelling almost like new again by adding to a paper towel a few drops of lemon oil and inserting it inside the shoe; let this sit overnight, and then be amazed at how fresh they smell come morning.
If you’re new to essential oils, this can all be overwhelming, but hopefully our article has provided everything you need to get started cleaning with lemon.